Sunday, April 08, 2007

04/08/07

Elder Babby,
What’s new this week? I have been slammin’ as usual this week, so I haven’t even had a chance to write a little bit until now and it’s 8:17 PM Sunday night. So sorry, this one is going to be shorter than usual.
How is training going? How do you like your Greeny? Here is the companion Bio I need for the Blog…

Full name:
Place(s) he grew up:
Favorite Music and/or groups:
Favorite TV show(s):
What does he like most about his mission so far?:
What does he like least about his mission so far?:
What does he want to be when he grows up?
Girlfriend?
Hobbies:
Something unique to only him that most people will find weird:
Favorite Scripture right now:
List the items you bought on your last grocery shopping trip:

I think that will suffice for now. Get those back to me this week so I can update the blog. People are all excited to know more about him. How is the work going? What have you done besides tracting his butt off for his first month? Has it yielded any teaching appointments?

I went to a Bees game yesterday at FranklinCovey Field. It was fun. I haven’t done that in so long, let alone seen any baseball game for so long. It was a lot of fun. I got sunburned a little, but it’s tanning up since I’ve kept aloe vera gel on it. I’m going to the Jazz game tomorrow and sitting in the Suite with some of the management team from work. It’s Staci’s Birthday, but I think I have to blow that off and make it up to her. We’ll just end up sitting around for about 20 min. Eat some cake and ice cream, Josh will have to take off early cuz of the cats, mom and dad will get wrapped up in one of their 6 or 7 Law and Order shows and sequester themselves in different rooms, and I’ll sit there with regret for blowing off sweet Suite tickets for the Jazz game. Comments or concerns about that? I felt bad because I forgot it was Staci’s Birthday and she texted me at the game and asked if I could come to her house on Monday for Cake and I Texted back and said I have a jazz game and couldn’t go, and then had to open myself up to ridicule and mockery by asking what the cake was for. Ooops. Guess I better pay better attention to dates and what not.

So what did you do for Easter? Anything fun? We colored eggs, did some eater egg hunts at Grandma Emery’s house, and at the Ward Pavilion. Those were both fun for Brinlee. She got spoiled with a bunch of gifts and what not. Did you get her art and letter and other stuff we sent when I was going to Vegas? Shelli must have sent it. The ties, parker refills, etc.? What did you do with the ties? What did you think of the art and Brinlee’s letter? She is anxious to hear back from you.
Let’s jump into the quote of the week for this week. I’m just going to paste it in right now and then comment. It’s from Joseph Smith commenting on his persecutions and opposition…

“I am like a huge, rough stone rolling down from a high mountain; and the only polishing I get is when some corner gets rubbed off by coming in contact with something else, striking with accelerated force against religious bigotry, priest-craft, lawyer-craft, doctor-craft, lying editors, suborned judges and jurors, and the authority of perjured executives, backed by mobs, blasphemers, licentious and corrupt men and women-- all hell knocking off a corner here and a corner there. Thus I will become a smooth and polished shaft in the quiver of the Almighty, who will give me dominion over all and every one of them, when their refuge of lies shall fail, and their hiding place shall be destroyed, while these smooth-polished stones with which I come in contact become marred.”

I love that analogy. As you are out there on your mission, you have faced and will continue to face all kinds of persecutions, bigotry, hatred, opposition, challenges, etc. And if you take this mentality with you, that with each challenge it rubs out yet another sharp edge and is continuing to hone you into a finely polished shaft in the quiver of the Almighty, how cool is it to think of yourself that way? How much easier will EVERY challenge that comes your way be to endure when you consider this. It continually refines you to being a better, more useful weapon for the Lord when he needs to call upon you. Enjoy every bit of opposition that comes your way out there and through life. Take Joseph’s way of thinking and use it to your advantage.

Did I tell you in my last letter or two that I finally read the Grandeur of God by Jeffrey R. Holland? Good stuff. Thanks for recommending it. It took me long enough to finally get to it. I finally watched the conference session that did the dedication of the tabernacle too. I watched the first 45 min. of it, got busy in other things that came up during that and had to sick TraVo after it. So it picked up the rest of it for me and Suzanne and I watched that today. Remember me baptizing you in the font there? Or is that kind of a vague memory for you now? That was a super cool place to do it. I guess it’s moved now, by the sounds of what Thomas S. Monson said. But I’m glad you did it there, and I’m glad you had me do it. That was way awesome for me to come off my mission and be able to do that.

Did you ever figure out what happened with the emergency transfer and stuff that happened after you left?

I think I had some other stuff to talk about, but for the life of me I can’t think of it and the notes I left in my FranklinCovey planning system are upstairs and too far for me to walk. I’m so tired, I seriously can’t drag myself up there to do that. I’ll have to get it in your letter next week. I’m going to attempt to read my homework for at least 3 pages before I crash, but I know that won’t be possible, and I’m about 289 pages behind. I only have 2 classes left too and test in a month on May 12th. I’m feeling so hopeless about passing at this point, I think I just wasted a ton of time away from my family and money to take this class and everything that went with it. Oh well. I’m going to fall asleep if I sit still for a few more minutes, so I better get moving.

Keep up all the good work. I’m excited to hear back from you tomorrow. Hope the work is going well and you are being blessed for all of your efforts. I know that you are, and so are we for having a miniscule amount of support in this endeavor. So keep it up for all of our sakes.

Love and miss you.

Trav

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You are Visitor#