Sunday, February 03, 2008

02/03/08

Hey Babby,

How was your week? Actually, it sounds like it’s been a wild ride with food poisoning. That’s too bad. I know all too well about what a drag that is. I just got your letter this morning and then watched the funeral for president Hinckley. Did you get to watch all that? I hope so. It was very spiritual and touching to see the tribute paid to him. If you watched it, what did you think? I guess they have people along the streets as the funeral procession moves from the conference center to the cemetery that are out there waiving canes as a tribute. Ha ha. Kind of funny. They have been covering a lot on the news leading up to this and will continue to cover and show video tributes after the funeral procession ends. I’m looking at some cane waivers out there now as the motorcade moves through downtown. That’s kind of cute.

I was over at Ma’s and Pa’s last night looking at your pictures and videos you sent home in the box. They hadn’t seen them yet, so that was fun to look at those. We watched Preston’s videos and pictures too. He’s a funny cat! That one of him and that little bike was funny, as he came cruising out from behind that car on that little mini bike, it was pretty funny. I’ll be ripping over those pictures for some blog entries sometime today.

Well, let me get to responding to your letter.

Sounds like you’ve been rockin’ the spiritual meetings lately, eh? That’s awesome. They seem to get much more spiritual when you have more to do with them, huh? Especially those meetings with just you, your companion and your president. It’s humbling to see how much a spiritual giant like a mission president relies on you as an assistant. How is your sketch book filling up? Nicely? How are your Parkers operating for you? I can’t believe Preston lost his. But worse than that, I CAN’T BELIEVE he bought a Zebra brand imposter. What a pathetic piece that was.

What is this new system you and Elder Lee came up with? How will it revolutionize your way of doing things out there? I have to say that the $1000 ticket is way harsh! I had a far worse infraction in NYC and I even paid less than that. What a joke. Sounds like the cop had it in for LDS Missionaries to me. What came of that anyway.

So what kinds of impressions came to you in your Zone Conference? What kinds of things are you learning and sketching this week?

Sounds like you like to drive the fun bus, eh?

Well, we just got back from the Jacobs. It was another successful superbowl party. They know how to throw them! You know this! Good food, all kinds of smoked ribs, brats ( I grilled those), lil’ smokies, assorted salads, all kinds of beverages, cake with the Giants and Patriots painted on it somehow. It was cool. I was stoked… STOKED that the Giants won. Ha ha. Yeahhhhhhhhh Boyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! I hate the patriots. The media, the fans, everyone didn’t give the giants an ounce of credit or respect going in to this, but I knew they’d keep it close. They have the best rushing defense in the league wi the most sacks of any team. And I knew that Brady doesn’t do well when he gets sacked 3 or 4 times a game. Sure enough, he got sacked 4 or 5 times a game and they lost by 3. AWESOME!! So I enjoyed the game quite a bit. You better get psyched for next years game. They are already talking about having you back. They have plans for you to dog sit again while they take some vacations.

Well, I want to come back to where I began with thoughts on Pres. Hinckley. The more I hear some of his quotes they have been throwing up on TV or the radio, the more tributes I hear about him as we all reflect on his life, and the more I think about what he’s done since I’ve known him as the Prophet… I honestly think that he has done more with and for the church than any other prophet since Brigham Young. I think he is having a welcoming party up there to beat the band. I think the heavens will pay him the utmost respect and prophets of old will look upon him with awe and reverence. It’s not only awe inspiring for me, it’s motivational to follow his superb example to get off my lazy duff and get to work. As much as I love him and want to do whatever I can to prove my love for him, I realize that is exactly as we should do for the Lord each and every day. That if we love Him, we should keep His commandments. I’m feeling extremely motivated to do something to serve right now. Maybe it’s the fact that I don’t have a calling yet and I’ve actually been jonesing one since the second I got released from my calling in the Elders Quorum. Maybe it’s because I want to follow the example of Pres. Hinckley and “get to work”. I love his example of when he faced adversity where he’d pray hard, then put on his shoes and “get to work”. What a Stallion!! I really do love him. I hear his voice in snippets from talks, I hear him bear testimony, I hear his love for all of us and it brings tears to my eyes even now. As we drove home from the Jacobs tonight, I’m in my truck alone (Suzanne drove separate since she came later with the girls) and I’m listening to “soft Sunday sounds” on FM100 as I do all day Sunday, every Sunday and they were playing some quotes by him and I was misty eyed all the way home. I have no ounce of doubt in my body that he was a prophet of God. That he had a personal relationship with the Savior that I can only aspire toward and admire. For as much of a humble and small in stature this elderly gentleman was, I see him as a man of such power and wisdom that I hold him in the utmost regard as one of the very few, handful of very elite in the Celestial Hall of Fame. Ha ha. I like that. I think I’ll roll with that for a while. I really do see him in the most elite of elite prophets and I respect him more than just about anyone I have ever known or even just read about. I’m going to carry this motivation into the coming weeks and months and use it to make a difference as he would want me to and as the Savior would want me to. I think I just bore you my testimony, so I better close in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I think it only fitting to close with the quote of the week by Pres. Hinckley himself. In fact, I’ll send you two of them this week just because.

“A mission is not an expense. It is a great investment.”

- Gordon B. Hinckley

“The young man who goes into the world preaching the gospel of peace loses himself and saves himself. Missionary work is one of the great miracles of our time.”

- Gordon B. Hinckley

That brings your Pres. Hinckley quotes I’ve sent to 6 since I started sending quotes of the week. I absolutely agree with them. The first one… I just got my year end statement from the church and Bishop Elison I think, is who sent me the statement from mom’s and dad’s ward with all of my contributions to your mission. As much as the number is, I thought to myself when I saw it; “is that all?” Because I could honestly do more. I would like to do more, but I have to let some others share in the blessings I enjoy by contributing. And that is fine. I don’t want to be a blessings hog. That is another quotable I have dropped. Man, keep these in the back of your mind… Blessings Hog and Celestial Hall of Fame. I think these phrases could take off if we get using them in the main stream. Really. Use those in your talks and instruction you give at some Zone Conferences. They will circulate around the church in no time. You watch! Ha ha.

Well Choch! I miss you like no other. You know on days like this with the Super Bowl party, I really get the ache to have you around, but again, I’d rather not have you if it means that you can be out learning, growing, and serving the Master. Especially right now, I wish I could be out there with you even. I’d love to spend a week with you and have you work my butt off in the service of the Lord. How sweet would that be? How memorable a time would it be to hang with your bones out there wearing a suit. I’d shave off the ol’ Goatee and everything. But my time has come and gone and how quick it did! Make the most of this short time you have left. Work harder than you’ve ever worked. Of course, that just makes it go faster. Ha ha. Well, regardless, do it for Him! I can’t wait to hear from you again soon.

Love ya,

Trav

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You are Visitor#