Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Travis Alexander's Mission Profile

Since we didn't get a letter from Mike this week, it's time to venture back into the Mission Profiles. I need pictures and information from those of you who have not sent them yet. You know who you are, and you will get your respective e-mails this week. This week, we profile... well... me.

Mission: New York, New York City North
Dates: 93-95
Areas: Harlem/Upper West Side Manhattan; South Bronx; Fordham/Central Bronx; Midtown Manhattan; Greenwich, CT.
Memories: Where do I begin? From the first day flying from the MTC to NYC's LaGuardia Airport, we came across a huge storm so we couldn't land. We were put in a holding pattern for well over an hour, just circling the airport through the clouds. We could look out of our windows and see dozens of other planes flying all around us in a holding pattern just a hundred feet or so above and below us, but we were all circling in different directions all around each other coming in and out of the clouds. The pilot said we were going to be diverted to Philadelphia since we were out of gas. We thought about the President and AP's waiting for us down there and that we'd be lost in Philly. We were already scared enough about flying to NYC, so we all offered up a quick prayer. Just before diverting to Philadelphia, the pilot came on and acted surprised and said, what do you know, it just opened up, we have been cleared to land at LaGuardia. One of my soon to be, many miracles witnessed as a result of prayer.

Other memories: busting a hernia after only being out 2 weeks. Being one of only 10 white people living in the heart of Harlem. Dealing with a possessed lady. Seeing the ball drop in Times Square on New Years 1995. Knocking on David Letterman's door in New Canaan, CT. Baptizing Walter Ford and at his request, letting him stay under water for about 10 extra seconds so he could "feel the true effects" and watching the horrified looks of the members of the ward in attendance that I was seemingly drowning him. Going to Yankees games and to broadway plays on P-days. Getting all of my stuff burglarized from my apartment in the Bronx. Having a knife pulled on me and swung at me a couple of times. Never experiencing feelings of fear even in the face of MANY dangerous situations like the afore mentioned. Cockroach infestations so bad that I'd have to hang my groceries in a tied up plastic bag, from a bike hook, in the middle of the ceiling with 3 rings of roach chock around the hook. Rats the size of small dogs. Learning why it's only slightly better running up 36 flights of stairs in project buildings than taking the elevators. Having 7 or 8 different sets of locks on our heavy metal doors. The warm, pungent smells of the subway that I grew to actually love. The warm, pungent smells of the crazy people that road the subway which I also grew to love. I could go on forever on here but this is getting too long. My best memories were all of the people that the Lord led us to, trusted us to teach, and blessed us with the opportunity to baptize and confirm them members of His church. Those are bonds that will last forever. I can't get enough of NYC. I can't imagine going anywhere else. It really is the coolest city and mission on earth. Best two years of my life? No question!

Well, there were only a few of us in this neighborhood!

18 foot Python. 180 lbs. Ate live chickens and other medium sized animals every few days. Lived in this guy's tub in his small Bronx apartment. What ever happened to hamsters or other small creatures as pets of choice?

A view from the top of the Empire State building of lower Manhattan. A skyline I will miss.

Top of the World Trade Center (Tower Two). These buildings were AMAZING!

This guy looked so comfortable, I thought I'd take a load off too.

NAME THE CAPTION CONTEST FOR THIS PICTURE. Click the comments link below and drop in your own caption for us all to read.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IS that THE CLUB still sitting on the seat!

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the President is going to kill me. I knew we shouldn't have parked in this hood.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MISSION CARS are come very basic...

2:51 PM  
Blogger Geegng said...

geez. i turn my back for ONE second and this is what happens!!

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew we should have changed the oil! Steve

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You are Visitor#